Friday, February 5, 2010

How can I 'euthanasize' pinky mice effectively to feed to my lizard without causing them pain?

I've just recently started breeding mice for this purpose, but I read that pinkies are not suited to CO2 euthanasia.How can I 'euthanasize' pinky mice effectively to feed to my lizard without causing them pain?
To euthanizes a pinky I would use dry ice. It is completely safe and wont harm the mouse (make it suffer). You should just feed him live pinky's, I feed my monitor sub-adult mice. At first I felt bad for the mice, then I realized this is what my monitor would be doing in the wild. I took the responsibility to buy him now I must do the same in feeding him. Plus your lizard would get some good exercise chasing his food around.How can I 'euthanasize' pinky mice effectively to feed to my lizard without causing them pain?
Alyssa- how on earth would you know? Have you ever frozen to death before? Just curious...





I would kill with a single hard rap to the back of the skull. Instantaneous death. But personally, I would buy already frozen. Or use dog food or carnivorous lizard canned food. I can't feed baby things to other things anymore...
Just put them in the freezer. They drift off to sleep and are ready to be stored until your lizard is read for them. It's very humane.





Edit: Humans who have been rescued all but frozen to death have described peacefully getting sleepier, their body numb, and eventually feeling warm again the longer they are cold- not pain or agony of any kind. I would imagine an adult human brain has a greater capacity to feel pain and torment than a newborn half-developed mouse. And to turn your own question around, when's the last time someone bashed you on the head until you died? How can you prove that's a more pleasant alternative?
Speaking strictly from the snake's point of view, you really don't need to euthanize a pinky, especially if you are breeding them yourself.





Typically you want to prekill prey because a mouse or rat could do some serious damage to your reptile. There are other reason's to opt for frozen/thawed when buying prey, but they don't apply to the process you are talking about.





Pinkies cannot do any damage to a reptile. They're small and helpless, and usually blind. If you are breeding them yourself, you probably don't have to worry about mites or diseases that could be passed on to your snake. So killing them before feeding them isn't strictly necessary.





Of course I definitely would recommend pre-killing ANY other sized rodent.
feed them to it live or the lizard might not eat it.
Yea i would just put the pinkies in a freezer. It is not really painful and thats what mice breeders do. Then when you are ready to feed your reptile thaw the mouse out in water for about 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment