Friday, February 12, 2010

How do I prevent Mice from coming in my home during the winter?

I live in Iowa, and in a trailer. Last Winter, although my home is extremely clean, I had an infestation of mice. It was enough to make me sick. I went out and bought some heavy duty poison and that fixed the problem, this year however I would like to prevent it somehow before it starts.....any ideas??? Please only ones that work :)How do I prevent Mice from coming in my home during the winter?
An outside cat is the best deterrent. They'll hunt down and kill any that are around and their scent will cause the others to avoid the area.How do I prevent Mice from coming in my home during the winter?
First check and see if you can find out how they got in, if you know how they got in then you could solve the problem by eliminating the point of entering . the only way to prevent them from coming in is don't give them a way to get in you would be surprised what little space a mouse can fir through some times they make or take advantage of a hole or crack under the floor of trailers,behind or under things.inspect your trailer real good and block any hole etc dont leave doors windows open without screens..
If you have an idea where they are coming in, old fashioned moth balls are a great repellent. Just place a few around the area the the scent will keep them (and most other critters) away.


I've had problems in the past with mice as well, and like you I had to resort to pellets. Got rid of the mice but obviously had a few corpses to deal with (or not, if they were hidden). I keep a packet in a spot on their previous runway, so if they decide to come back I can nip it in the bud.


And by the way, I have three cats and four dogs. Doesn't seem to phase the mice one bit.


Good luck.
Mice don't like STRONG smells or odors.. They HATE peppermint, spearmint so use essential oils on cotton pads in areas you've had mice activity...You can also use lavender oils as well....





Stuff all cracks and creavases with steel wool and fill with a gap filler available at home improvement stores...





Keep food items stored in plastic/glass sealing containers and keep apt. clean/tidy....
Yes, find and block any holes.





But I would also suggest you wash down the outside, around, and under the trailer. Mice leave a scent trail for the other mice to follow and that is how they find their way back to bother you again.
use steel wool around pipes and check for any cracks and holes in and around your house. when you seal them up it should take care of the problem. whoever they can come through a very small hole. or you could get a cat from a shelter and let him/her take care of it!
Go outside now and fill any opening with steel wool and and spray foam insulation. Good luck! Once mice find a nice warm home they don't give up easily.
i hate those mieces to pieces, remember that cartoon saying?. but keep the door shut or get a cat
better develop a love for cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment