Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If a mice dies and is left undisturbed, how long will it take for it to stop smelling?

I have a mouse in my house. I have been advised that poison is the most effective means of getting rid of the mouse. I am concerned that using poison, the mouse will go off and die somewhere hard to reach and I will then have the problem of a bad smell as it decomposes. Any advice on how to deal with a nuisance rodent would be appreciated.If a mice dies and is left undisturbed, how long will it take for it to stop smelling?
They don't always die in your house. I know that sounds crazy but we had an infestation in the loft last year and we tried everything to get rid of them (humane and otherwise), but in the end we had to opt for poison...





...within a week they'd gone, but I found no bodies whatsoever. Not one. There was no smell and no fuss at all. I spoke to a pest control officer at the council about it and he said that mice often leave their nests if they think that they are about to die...and often get pretty far away before the effects fully kick in (remember it can take 24 hours for the poison to fully have an effect).





Just thought I'd share that with you before you are automatically convinced by the many scaremongerers here that its going to be a horrible experience for months.If a mice dies and is left undisturbed, how long will it take for it to stop smelling?
get a cat
It would have to fully decompose before the smell would go away. Use a baited mouse trap or get a cat.
It will take a few weeks to kill the smell. Why not set a mousetrap out, then when you catch the mouse you can through it out and you won't have the smell?
Let me recount on the last time I sat down and measured out the stench caused by a dead rat from start to finish....hmmm let's see, it took quite a while
Yuck, I don't know but my mom raves about the ';live trap'; she caught over 25 mice in it this year! She loves it because she hates killing animals and same as you.... she had a little corpse rotting in the crawl space and it took weeks to find it.


I would try a live trap first.... also keep in mind that you can't use poison if you have other pets or children. I would only use poison as a last resort!
We had one die in the wall where we couldn't get to it. It was in the stairwell, so it effected both the upstair and the downstairs. I'd say it took about 3 months to be complete gone. Ick.
  • loan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment