Friday, February 12, 2010

Why would my mice be throwing their bedding into their water bowl?

I have two pet mice, and twice now I have found that they have thrown their bedding into their water bowl. The bedding is just wood shavings, bought from a pet store, the water dish is perfect them, not too deep, not too shallow, yet they are throwing the shavings into the bowl. Any ideas as to why they might be doing this?Why would my mice be throwing their bedding into their water bowl?
Mine all do that, too, and usually top it off by peeing in the bowl. Mice aren't good at using bowls for water, all the recommendations are to use a bottle for exactly this reason. I don't bother with food bowls because they do the same thing--dump the food out, pile shavings in and then pee in it.





And the other poster warning about the wood shavings is right, cedar and pine are aromatic woods and can irritate the lungs of small animals whose noses are in the bedding all the time. Aspen is safe, and the carefresh bedding is safe but more expensive than aspen.Why would my mice be throwing their bedding into their water bowl?
they are trying to hide their food from 'predators' my hammies do this with their food... the best solution is a water bottle... ALSO, what type of bedding are you ujsing? you said wood chips, but if its pine/ceadr get rid of it RIGHT NOW.. they are deadly to small animals. go get some aspen woodchips or carefresh asap!!! =]
They are trying to make burrows, but when they dig they end up throwing the bedding into the water, I had the same problem with my gerbil so I switched to a water bottle on the side of the cage.





Hope I helped!!
Cause it's there nature instead of using a bowl use a water bottle.
Making a ';Water Bed';.
making a bridge?

No comments:

Post a Comment