Sunday, February 7, 2010

Got mice and/or rats in garage. How do I go about cleaning it? Is it unhealthy to breathe in there?

Our family's garage is a total mess. Spring cleaning/Garage sale season is coming up and we would like to clean, but there are rodents in there. I've heard that breathing in places where there's rodent feces/urine can make you sick? How can I clean my garage and keep myself safe?


I'm setting traps too in the process!!Got mice and/or rats in garage. How do I go about cleaning it? Is it unhealthy to breathe in there?
I would put out PLENTY of rat poison and don't do anything for about a week, to allow what may be there to die. Then get painters' masks and go to it. Be very careful of the ones you may not have gotten. Remove EVERYTHING from the garage, whether for sale or not. Inspect the sill all the way around the garage for holes and fill them. Put out more poison and put the stuff back in. Make sure you put the poison right next to the walls, as that's where the rodents travel. Lots of luck! I had the very same thing 3 years ago and this system worked for me. By the way, keep inspecting the garage when you're done. You need to keep up on anything that may move back in. I considered an exterminator, but when I got the price I knew I couldn't afford him.

No comments:

Post a Comment