Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How many mice should I buy and what sex should I get?

I am thinking about getting a medium sized cage and either 1 male mouse or 2 female mice. I thought about getting 2 male mice but I read somewhere that they will fight with each other. Please advise me on whether to get the male mice or the female mice.How many mice should I buy and what sex should I get?
females smell less than males, but if a wild mouse gets into their habitat (and believe me it happens) you could end up with lots more mice than you wanted.





male mice might fight, but if you get two males from the same litter they'll be fine, as there won't be one trying to assert his authority over the other because they are familiar with each other and will grow up together





you must get two mice, don't get just one male, as mice are social animals and will not thrive on their own, they need at least one companion.





Many pet shops have staff that don't know how to identify mice's genders and often mix males and females, even though they thought they were seperating them. Ask them to tell you and show you the difference between the two so that you can see for yourself what you're getting. If they don't seem to know, then don't buy from that shop. The way to tell, is that in males there is more space between the openings under the tail, it's not always possible to see the testicles as they tend to 'suck' them in when handled.





In females the two openings are no more than 5mm apart. How many mice should I buy and what sex should I get?
I recommend 2 female mice. Not only do they get along better, but they don't smell as strongly as males.


It will be fun watching them.
If you get a ten Gallon fish tank, you can fit up to 6 mice in there. I would recommend girls they can clean themselfs more then the boys.






the female mice! the males WILL fight!
get 2 females angoras are the best

No comments:

Post a Comment