Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How are mice who get frozen for reptile consumption get killed?

I'm not against the fact, but I'm just curious. I may be getting a snake soon so I'm just wondering.How are mice who get frozen for reptile consumption get killed?
Well the cheapest and oldest method is by either breaking the neck or klonking the head against a hard object so they at least paralyze (not necessarily die). These ways, if done correctly, are actually very quick. But back than, people who killed mice for their snakes weren't exactly concerned about being humane, and were mainly worried about a live mouse injuring their snake. I'm sure some people simply left the mice in freezers, but this was never popular due to the clear suffering.





Currently, there are a lot more people who disapprove of these ways. Typically, pet stores either freeze dry or gas. The gas is usually carbon monoxide, although other forms are available. In the case of gassing, only those that expire in some way are used, so the snake isn't affected. Both gassing and freeze drying are equally quick and painless (although uncomfortable).How are mice who get frozen for reptile consumption get killed?
Sorry, it is carbon dioxide, not monoxide.

Report Abuse



Actually, monoxide works as well.

Report Abuse



gassed
They are put in the freezer alive and die a slow painfull death.
Its not carbon monoxide, it's carbon dioxide. I cull mice everyday. Sometimes I gas them (the pain rating depends on the rate of gas entering the killing chamber, slower is better).


A mouse/rat put into a cull chamber, and CO2/O2 mix is then slowly gassed in. You will see the rodent fall unconscious fairly quietly long before the CO2 reaches proportions that cause pain to the mucal surfaces of the nose. If you put the rodent into a high concentration of CO2/O2, the animal becomes very distressed long before it becomes unconscious.


Rodents feel pain so it is kinder to kill in the most painfree manner possible.





Sometimes I cervically dislocate to cull (very quick), sometimes I use injectable anaesthetic. Depends on the required outcome.(Injected mice are not used a reptile food!)





Added: No one I know (and I know a lot of reptilekeepers including my husband and self) Freezedry rodents, after all, what use is a freezedried rodent to a snake or goanna?


. You can use dry ice in a container to gas rodents by adding it to a sealed box of rodents and letting it gas out from the 'ice' state. gas is usually only used for large number of rodents though. My husband at home, breaks their necks which is easy and quick.


Also I have never known anyone to put live rodents in a freezer to kill them. What a mess they would make long before dying ...and it's horribly cruel. If you buy frozen rodents they are usually packed nose to tail, nice and straight. Animals that were frozen live would be curled up. You can check out they ones you buy and avoid the curled, crooked ones as they are being killed cruelly. Stop buying from that source. If they don't care enough to kill kindly, then they don't care enough to feed them properly so that your reptile is getting the best nutrition.
I think there gassed
I think they just flash freeze them. I don't think there is gass involved since they are meant for food. They stick them in a freezer that is set to a really low temp lower then your common house freezer. so it happens quick.
I don't know, but I've been using them for many years. Just make sure you get them from a reputable pet store/dealer. I used to buy them in 25-packs from a pet wholesaler when I had alot of snakes, now I'm down to 2 (from selling off, to weed out all the stuff I have to care for).
Hung, drawn and quartered.
i was working@an aquarium%26amp;person who supplied all our live food(meal worms,crickets ect)he just took the pinkies from mum@moment of birth%26amp;put them in the freezer.They came to us in a box(frozen)and it was my job to put them into the sale bags.
Carbon Monoxide
painlessly. i think through gas euthanasia

No comments:

Post a Comment